Prince Harry and Meghan Markle reportedly plan U.K. return with their children after 6 years in the U.S.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle holding hands during a visit to Bondi Beach in Australia
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle relocated to California after stepping away from royal duties in 2020. (Pool via Getty Images)

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are planning to relocate to Britain with their two children this month, more than six years after leaving the U.K. for the U.S., according to reports.

Their children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, are set to begin school in Britain in September. The Associated Press reported that they have already been enrolled, citing a person close to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex who was not authorized to speak publicly.

Charles, who was diagnosed with an unspecified form of cancer in 2024, learned about the Sussexes’ plans on Sunday, AP reported. The BBC said it understood that he “welcomes the opportunity to see more of the Sussex family in a private and personal capacity.”

The family is expected to settle in a privately owned home outside London rather than a royal property, according to AP. They also intend to keep their Montecito, California, home and a vacation property in Portugal. Harry and Meghan will continue to be non-working members of the royal family.

The Daily Telegraph was the first outlet to report the plans. People magazine subsequently reported on the relocation, while Reuters said a source close to Harry and Meghan had confirmed the reports were accurate.

Neither Harry and Meghan’s spokesperson nor Buckingham Palace has publicly confirmed the move. Harry said he had “nothing to say” when asked about the reports Wednesday night during an event with U.S. veterans in Washington.

The move comes as Harry has sought to repair his relationship with his family, particularly his father, King Charles III.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry attend the 75th NBA All-Star Game at Intuit Dome in Inglewood, California.

Harry and Meghan signed deals with Netflix and Spotify during their years in the U.S.

(Ronald Martinez via Getty Images)

After losing a legal challenge over his security arrangements in Britain last year, he told the BBC that he no longer wanted the family dispute to continue. “I would love reconciliation with my family,” Harry said at the time.

The family had been in Britain as recently as last month. During that trip, Harry, Meghan and their children spent time with Charles at his Highgrove estate. The visit also reunited Charles with Archie and Lilibet for the first time since Queen Elizabeth II’s platinum jubilee celebrations in 2022.

Relations between Harry and his older brother, Prince William, remain strained. Reuters reported that the brothers are still barely speaking to each other.

Peter Hunt, a former BBC royal correspondent, suggested the surprise return is likely to have left William “apoplectic.”

He told the Press Association, the U.K. news agency, “In the short term, Harry will be able to deepen his rapprochement with his father. And his presence back home will make it harder for his brother to duck a reconciliation. The surprise return of Harry and Meghan is likely to have left William apoplectic.”

A source close to the Sussexes told AP that Harry will be able to devote more time to his charitable work in Britain, while Meghan will continue running her lifestyle business, As Ever, from the U.K.

The couple has been based in Montecito since moving to California after stepping away from royal duties in 2020.

The Telegraph reported that Harry wanted a “refuge” in the U.K. and the “freedom to enjoy British summers, see friends and come and go without the ‘circus’ that has surrounded recent visits.”

During their years in the U.S., Harry and Meghan signed deals with Netflix and Spotify and spoke publicly about their experiences within the royal family. Harry published his memoir, Spare, which became a bestseller. Their Spotify partnership later ended, while Reuters reported that Meghan’s Netflix lifestyle show was not renewed for a third season.

Harry has also spent years pursuing legal cases in Britain, including disputes involving the British press and the level of police protection available to him and his family when they visit the country.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *