King Charles issues statement as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested

Andrew faces intense scrutiny over his ties to Jeffrey Epstein

King Charles issues statement as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested today on suspicion of misconduct in public office as King Charles has spoken out.

In an unprecedented move, police arrived on the Sandringham Estate on Thursday morning, where Andrew is currently residing.

Thames Valley Police later issued a statement as news broke that the former prince had been taken into custody.

It comes as Andrew, who turns 66 today, faces intense scrutiny over his association with late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Now, King Charles has issued a statement regarding the arrest and Andrew’s ties to disgraced financier Epstein.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor at Duchess of Kent's funeralAndrew has been arrested on Thursday (Credit: Cover Images)

Why has Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor been arrested?

On Thursday, Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The specific details of the allegations of misconduct being investigated are unknown.

In a statement, Thames Valley Police said: “As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man remains in police custody at this time.

“We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court.”

Scrutiny has been mounting over Andrew’s association with late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein following the recent release of millions of files relating to the disgraced financier last month.

Following the release of files, Andrew was accused of sharing sensitive and confidential information with Epstein about his official work as a UK trade envoy.

He served as a UK trade envoy between 2001 and 2011. In 2010, Andrew allegedly forwarded official reports from trade visits to Epstein, according to the files.

The files also appear to show the former prince forwarded the disgraced financier information on investment opportunities in Afghanistan.

Under official guidance, trade envoys have a duty of confidentiality over sensitive, commercial, or political information about their official visits.

Andrew has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein. This arrest should not be seen as any indication of guilt and there are no charges yet.

King Charles issues statement

The king has said in a new statement today: “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.

“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.

“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.

“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter.

“Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”

According to reports, the Prince and Princess of Wales support King Charles’ statement.
King Charles in blue suitKing Charles has issued a statement over Andrew’s arrest (Credit: Cover Images)

Andrew’s association with Jeffrey Epstein

For years, Andrew has faced scrutiny over his links to Epstein.

This scrutiny intensified last month when the US Department of Justice released more than three million files relating to Epstein and his crimes.

Within these files, images appeared to show Andrew kneeling on all fours over an unidentified female lying on the ground. No context has been supplied for the images. It’s also unclear when and where they were taken.

Following the release of more Epstein files in January 2026, a second woman came forward with allegations against Andrew.

The woman alleged she was sent to the UK by Epstein for a sexual encounter with Andrew at Royal Lodge in 2010. The woman is not British and was in her 20s at the time.

Andrew has also faced allegations of sexual assault from the late Virginia Giuffre.

She alleged she was made to have sex with Andrew on three separate occasions when she was 17 after being trafficked by Epstein.

Andrew has always vehemently denied the allegations.

Meanwhile, Andrew has always denied wrongdoing in relation to Epstein. Being named or pictured among the Epstein files is not an indication of wrongdoing.

You may also like...